The ‘EUROSUR’ Project
Improvement of European collaboration in European border control.
Agencies of the member states responsible for monitoring borders (border guards, coast guards, Police, customs services and the navy) will be able to exchange operational information and collaborate as part of the ‘EUROSUR’ mechanism, and collaborate with ‘FRONTEX’ and with neighbouring states for improvement of European collaboration in European border control.
The exchange of information as part of the ‘FRONTEX’ system will be done via ‘situation imagery’ that can be described as graphic interfaces for presentation of data, information and intelligence. The situation imagery will be compiled on national and European levels. Individual resources will have similar structures for easier information sharing. ‘FRONTEX’ will establish a service for enforcement of common supervision instruments combining satellite imagery with information coming from ships to improve detection of small vessels.
More information on the project is available on the following Web site: frontex.europa.eu/intelligence/eurosur.
PIAP implements the project in 4 phases:
- Phase 1: Establish architectures for information exchange and build an information sharing model;
- Phase 2: Define, implement and validate the first master node of the ‘EUROSUR’ system;
- Phase 3: Replicate the validated node in six countries participating in the project, implement communication networks between the nodes and establish a network interface;
- Phase 4: Enhance and extend the system architecture and graphic interfaces in line with revised user requirements.
Implementation timeframe: 08/11/2010 – 15/07/2014
Project type: International research project
Coordinator: GMV Aerospace and Defence
- Industrial Institute for Automation and Measurements (PIAP), Poland